Thursday, June 26, 2014

Thespian Thursday - How I became an Actor

Hello and welcome to the first Thespian Thursday. The day where I tell you about Acting and all things related to it.


Today, I figured I'd tell you the story of how I became an actor since.. well since it was almost completely accidental to be honest. (And utterly spontaneous for the most part.)

A couple years back, ironically in Grade 11 at school, (apparently that's the year I did everything.), a friend of mine had suggested I join the backstage crew to help set the stage for performances and shows. Having never done any activities after school before, I had a blast of a time. It was something of an epiphany for me, realizing how much more there was to life than video games. (Before that year, all I ever seemed to do with my days was go to school, sleep and play games. Sounds exciting doesn't it?)

So how did that make me an actor? Well, having been doing backstage work for a few months, I found myself sitting outside the auditions for a play that the school wished to use to compete in the Edenvale Acting and Drama Society's (EADS) One Act Play Festival. (The irony that the first play I was to ever take part in was called "Asylum" is not lost on me.) In any case, the Backstage Crew's Stage Manager, being the fine gentleman who told us what to do and when, was sitting in on the auditions for said play, and I was sitting outside waiting for him to finish up. Suddenly, looking up as I hear the door open, I see his head peak out of the door, look down at me and say in his friendly voice: "Hey buddy, You want to audition?" A turning point in my life if ever there was one. I'm not exactly sure what went through my head at the precise moment... probably nothing which is occasionally possible, even for me; but I did say "Sure." in less than a second.

Next I knew, there was an excerpt from a script in my hand and I was outside trying to be a madman. Ironically not very difficult as was noted by my soon-to-be-director post audition with the humorous comment: "Are you sure you don't actually belong in an Asylum?" 

That play famously went on to be the first production from my school in several years to make it to the EADS finals, netting 3rd place, 1 medal for best actress, and nominations for near all other categories, including 2 nominations for Best Male Actor in a Drama for myself and my friend whom, funnily enough, portrayed the role I originally auditioned for.

Following that, I participated in an additional 3 more productions at my school in the year and a half I had left of being a student. Two Major Productions and another EADS festival in which I was nominated for best supporting actor. I was also the recipient of 2 years worth of cultural full colors from my school. (Okay, I'll stop blowing my trumpet now.)

All in all, those were some of the most amazing experiences of my life, and the first thing in my life for which I grew a burning passion. No other activity made me as excited to get up in the morning to go do. The hours were absolutely horrific, but not once did I ever complain, because, to be honest, there was nothing better to be doing than those acting practices. (Shush, I just got something in my eye. *Sniffle*)

So that's how I discovered what I wanted to do with my life. And, as far as I'm concerned, still am going to do with my life. :D 

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this small insight into my life and what motivates me, and I hope you have an AWESOME day. Don't forget to leave a comment or suggestion if there's something you would like to know more about, and maybe share this if you think that there's someone who wants to know about me for some reason. I dunno. 

That's enough from me. Kuaga Rafiki

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...