Saturday, July 26, 2014

Random Subject Saturday - Reefsteamers (Actual Trains)

Hello and welcome to Random Subject Saturday; the day of the week where I tell you about thing's I've never done, and then ask if you want to hear about it afterwards.

If you're the type for knowing things or looking closely... you might note that's a German train. I did that for lulz really.

If you were born in 1980/90's or earlier, it's likely you've taken a ride on a train before and are fairly familiar with them. Perhaps you've even seen an actual steam train operating. Ironically, I haven't... but I'm going to today. So that's cool.


Fun fact, young people are deprived these days. Sure we have smartphones and stuff, but there are a lot of things that the older generations did that we have no clue about. (Don't believe me, ask a kid these days if they have a floppy disk. They're quite likely to ask you what that is.) It's unfortunate because those bygone era's required a fair bit more ingenuity in order to do the "simple" tasks we often take for granted these days.
Oh well, I'm going to see a steam train tomorrow. Actually... sorry, I'm going to see a steam train today. Figuring I was going to be out all day, I wanted to make sure I got this post done, and was thereby up at 2:30AM writing this. (Kinda brutal, ever felt like your screen was burning your eyes out of their sockets?) Still, I want to keep up my now 40+ day streak of daily blog posts, so I don't mind.

The event I'm going to is the "Winter Depot Open Day" held by a non-profit group of South African Steam Train operators by the name of Reefsteamers. Having never been to said event before, I'm not entirely sure what to expect, but in true respect to my adventurous side, I don't care and will likely find it fun simply because I haven't done it before. Besides, who doesn't want to see several tons of steel moving faster than you can run while billowing out a near solid cloud of smoke and ash? (Seriously; if you don't, tell me about it in the comments below.)

In any case, I'll be sure to take a camera, take some snaps and let you know what it's like there for tomorrows Storytime Sunday post. In any case, I'm off to catch 2 hours of sleep so that I am awake enough to take photo's of trains rather than my feet. If you're interested in hearing what a young and strange fellow like myself has to say about these monstrous metal contraptions, make sure to like my Facebook page and/or follow me on Twitter using the associated buttons on the bar to the right so that you can get the post, as I make it. In any case, I thank you for taking the time to read this, hope you have/had an absolutely FANTASTIC day, and I will speak to you tomorrow.

Good morning my friends. (Teehee)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...