Sunday, October 26, 2014

OddballGreg - 5 Terrifying Horror Games

That menacing... thing... is one of the animatronic characters that make Five Nights At Freddy's absolutely TERRIFYING.

Of course. Halloween. Perfect time for scary things like badly done drag costumes and maniacal cackling on certain radio stations which was nicked from the now public domain song "Thriller". It's also when I decide it's a "good" idea to watch people play absurdly scary games. Yay...

Two months ago I wrote an article about Horror games and the Silent Hills Playable Teaser in particular as a result of watching a YouTube commentator, (Jacksepticeye), play it. Of course, in said article, I pointedly indicate what an absolute wuss I am with horror games, and how even watching someone else play them can occasionally leave me in a catatonic state. Of course, Halloween being what it is, I had the FANTASTIC idea that I should write an article about scary horror games... I'm a sucker for punishment apparently. So without further ado, here's 5 Terrifying Horror games that I really don't want to watch... or play.

Five Nights At Freddy's


First up on the list of games that made me act 15 years younger is Five Nights At Freddy's. A rather stressful horror and fear-filled game that has you playing as some unfortunate halfwit who has found himself playing nightshift at a closed down restaurant filled with murderous animatronic characters. This game holds a special place in my mind because it took the idea of fear inducing gameplay, unceremoniously dumped it out the window, and created something several times more terrifying than I had seen up to that point. (Bearing at mind that PT, as mentioned in the article I linked earlier, is the only horror game to make me actually cry.)

If you feel like listening to the fearful screams of an entertaining YouTube commentator as he frantically checks camera's for the approaching characters while begging for his power reserves to last him the night, check out Markiplier's video above.


Amnesia: The Dark Descent


Amnesia: The Dark Descent is the horror game that first made YouTube phenomenon PewDiePie famous following his fairly average Call Of Duty coverage that had attracted him a relatively small audience. Amnesia was the game that made me realize what a tremendous girl I am with horror games. Being the first horror game I had ever seen where there was no ability to fight the monsters, and thus required you to run and hide, was an interesting concept to me. So of course I tried it.

The total result's of my efforts can be surmised by the fact that within the space of 5 minutes, I had managed to scream at a door slam, flail wildly when the lights went out and red roses began falling around the character, spent 3 minutes hiding in a broom closet, and uninstalled the game. This game is absurdly frightening to me, which is ridiculous because my brother played it up until he realized that it revolved around puzzles and promptly wrote it off as junk without so much as a flinch. 

Among The Sleep


Perhaps the least terrifying game on this list, (considering I actually managed to watch it be played from beginning to end), this game is still fairly terrifying considering how many times I nearly fell out of my chair, and the fact that watching one of my friends play it resulted in me diving behind his bed out of sheer fright. (I'm a little girl apparently.) I quite enjoyed this game for it's highly atmospheric and intelligent design, and for the fantastic and highly symbolic story. Of the five, I would likely most recommend watching/playing this slightly short game yet thoroughly terrifying game. 

Slender


Another fan favorite from the "Bro Army" of YouTube personality Pewdiepie, Slender is a game inspired by a almost legendary CreepyPasta horror story which involved a faceless, otherworldly being in a suit taking people and murdering them in the woods. (Lovely.) So naturally people made a game about it and Pewdiepie recorded videos of himself playing it and screaming loudly. (With fair reason I suppose. This game is pretty damn scary.)

Outlast


And lastly, but certainly not least in the scares department, is Outlast, another frightening horror game that makes you unable to do anything more than run and hide which is the reason why my knee is aching while I write this article. By the time Outlast originally came out, I was already so positive that I had no interest in watching even a moment of it be played. Of course, in the pursuit of quality articles for this blog, I ended up watching the first episode of Pewdiepie's playthrough as linked above, and promptly decided that I was definitely not mistaken for that decision. According to the review's and accounts from friends, Outlast is "Scary as S*** Yo'. So if you feel like making going to sleep difficult for yourself, play this. (Teehee)

If not, then you likely value your possibly rare quantities of sleep, much like myself. If you are one such person, or are one of the crazy individuals who think being scared witless is funny, let us know down in the comments below, or via Facebook/Twitter. We here at TCSA love to hear from you. Of course, if you happen to have any horror game enthusiast friends, consider sharing this article with them as well. They may find it entertaining for some bizarre reason or other. Of course, if you would like to read more humorous article's like this one, consider liking the Official TCSA Facebook Page and/or liking us on Twitter using the associated buttons on the bar to the left so that you can get all the latest posts, as they're published. Regardless of what you do, I thank you for having taken the time to read this post; hope that you have/had an absolutely FANTASTIC day, and I will speak again soon.

Happy scares my friends.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...